Sunday 3 August 2008

What a Wall-E

We've enjoyed our weekend - went to the cinema at Bluewater yesterday to see Wall-E, the latest offering from Disney and Pixar. As Jake was with Nanny and Poppa, we treated ourselves to "Gallery" seats, and made the most of it by blagging two helpings of nachos, four muffins, four little boxes of choccies, three hot chocolates and a cup of coffee! As always, we were treated to a Pixar short before the movie. Didn't cause me to have trouble breathing like the Birds, but was splendid nonetheless - all about a magician and his hungry rabbit!

Wall-E was just lovely. I have a feeling we'll be off to see it again with Jake in tow.

Nicky has also been taking great delight in sharing a wally story of mine! Swag are running a competition, and to enter you need to provide a story about your marriage proposal, and so she sent this message:

Dear Swag!
I thought you might like to hear the story of my husband's proposal to me, back in 1993. A day which every girl dreams of and has imagined all the different romantic possibilities.....not quite how it turned out for me, and I have never let my husband forget it!!!
I was staying with my boyfriend's family in Winchester for the new year celebrations, and it was decided that on that particular day we were all going shopping to hit the sales. I came downstairs dressed in what I thought appropriate attire for serious retail therapy, to find Matthew and his parents dressed very smartly. My face must have said it all, because I was then informed that they were going to take us for lunch in a lovely hotel next to Winchester cathedral. I returned upstairs to change, a little annoyed that this lunch would eat into my shopping time.
On arrival in Winchester is was declared we would have lunch first, then shop. We all ordered and I was surprised at the light lunch that my usual, bottomless pit of a boyfriend ordered. When I quizzed him on this he just said that he wasn't that hungry. As our meals arrived Matthew, who was sat next to me, turned to me and said, "can I ask you something Nicky?" to which I responded, "you aren't having my chips, you should have ordered a decent meal....!" Then I looked up and realised both his parents were staring expectantly at me with big grins on their faces. I turned to look at Matthew and noticed a small jewellery box in his hand, which he then opened and asked...."Will you marry me?
Inside the box was a very unusual opal ring, which although stunning, was not exactly the rock that I had dreamed of. It was at this point that Matthew's Mum brought me thumping back to reality with a loud, "well?" Naturally I said yes, as Matthew and I were always meant to be together, and it had only been a case of when he asked, not if, but the unexpected nature of the moment left me reeling, and with a complete loss of appetite. Matthew having survived the nerve wracking moment, polished off his light meal and mine!
I left it a few months before moaning at Matthew about his shocking lack of romance, and how proposing in front of his parents was just not great, He has made up for it since though, we have been married for almost twelve years and have an eight year old son. Matthew soon discovered that any purchase from Swag would be well received and has added some sparkling diamonds to my collection. I still embarrass him on a regular basis by repeating the story to friends, in the hope that one day he may just surprise me again, but this time in style!!

I look forward to hearing from you if I win, maybe I should just send Matthew in to choose an appropriate rock!


I think it's just a matter of time before we collect first prize!

This evening I've been on the phone to Orlando to make some arrangements for our trip in October. We can now look forward to:

23rd - Not so scary Halloween party at Magic Kingdom
25th - dinner at Jiko at Animal Kingdom Lodge
27th - lunch at Canada in Epcot

Marvellous!