Wednesday 29 February 2012

To Infinity

So today is a special day, the 29th of February - a rare occurrence, and yes, I am pleased to report that I received a proposal of marriage. The even better news is that it was from the person I most want to be married to in the whole wide world.

It's also amusing to think that the last time we had a Wednesday 29th February was in 1984, and I was still at junior school!

Talking of schools, I gave Jake a lift to his this morning, before heading off to the office. He wasn't quite up and fully functioning in time to get the bus, and Nicky needed to stay at home to await the arrival of the BT Engineer. The appointed time was anywhere between 8am and 1pm, but we were his first port of call for the day, and as a result, we are now BT Infinity customers. Hopefully we will end up paying a little bit less for our phone and internet service from BT compared with the BT phone and Sky internet that we had up until today, and we are already enjoying considerably faster speeds. I ran a speed test this evening, and it came out at 17MB download and 1.7MB upload, which is pretty good. Apparently, it should get a little bit quicker over the next few weeks as well - maybe the line needs to warm up a bit?

Anyway, once I'd dropped Jake off at school I spent the morning in the office before heading down to Brighton for the afternoon (making sure I was there in time for the Big Hank as per the previous post). Heading out of Brighton at the end of the day, I decided to bypass the petrol station, even though my range estimate on the car was saying a little bit over 60 miles of petrol in the tank. I didn't run out, but the range estimate was saying 1 mile as I pulled into the Esso station on the way up Bluebell Hill. Still, as per a previous post, I think that the low petrol light, the gauge and the range estimate are all considerably off, given that I still only put in 35 litres to fill up my 45 litre tank. Miles per gallon is creeping up a little bit - perhaps a combination of the engine getting run it (passed 3000 miles today) and the warmer weather.

Sad news today about Davy Jones - I remember watching (Hey Hey We're) The Monkees when I was little. I don't remember a whole lot of detail about it, other than silliness and singing. Looking at clips on YouTube, it certainly looks silly, but I did find this rather nice cover.



Finally, today is also a special day at the wonderful world of Disney. As I mentioned my "leaping" post in January, the Magic Kingdom is staying open all day today (well from 6am this morning until 6am tomorrow). I wonder how busy it has been and whether many people will manage the full 24 hours - I'd certainly have loved to give it a try. I'm sure with a quick power nap whilst pretending to watch something like the Hall of Presidents or the Carousel of Progress, along with a few pulled pork sandwiches and a regular infusion of the Disney sugary hot chocolate brew, I would have been fine. Maybe next time - perhaps this will become a regular four-yearly event?

There are a few pictures from the "One More Disney Day" event here.

So, daydreaming of Disney, I will leave you with a rather lovely video which captures a whole day at the Magic Kingdom in just over three minutes.



Fun - wasn't it?!

OK - that was going to be the last thing for today, but I've just found this as well, which has been made by Disney to mark the Leap Day - split screen video well worth a look.

Right, I'm going now!