Friday 6 June 2014

History

When I was at school, I dropped history as a subject at the end of year 9, and didn't go on to study it for GCSE. Jake has recently made a similar decision, and history didn't make the cut for his exam choices either.

I can fully understand Jake's decision. Partly due to the way in which it was taught when I was at school and it really not inspiring me or feeling particularly relevant to my life at that stage, and probably partly due to a degree of immaturity on my part (which maybe I could be forgiven for at the time - I was only thirteen or fourteen after all), it was a pretty easy decision for me, and I was happy with my choice of subjects.

I still am happy with my choice of subjects, and I enjoyed learning about them, but the older I get, the more I think that my lack of understanding of major historical events is a real shame, and I really should do something about it.

And maybe I should make a start on trying to understand a little bit more about World War II, on this 70th anniversary of D-Day.