Sunday 22 April 2012

Hereford

Well, it's been a long time without blogging, and I thought that I should start up again. No doubt my very small readership will have given up on me over the several weeks that I have been silent, so I don't suppose many will actually read this! (Feel free to leave me a comment to prove me wrong!)

Today I have been uploading some of the photos from our Easter holiday in the Forest of Dean. We had a great time in our Forest Lodge, and even if the weather wasn't brilliant (having been non stop sunshine and ice creams in the office the week before) that didn't stop us from enjoying ourselves - one of the best bits being able to get away from it all and relax in our cabin (even if getting away from it all did mean making sure that our cabin was set up (i) with Wifi so that online scrabble could continue, and (ii) with Sky Sports so that I could watch the Masters).

One of our trips out (for me, Nicky and Margaret) was to Hereford, and as it was raining when we arrived, we stopped in at the first open building that we found on our way into the City, which turned out to be the cathedral, and made for the tea rooms for a warm drink whilst we considered our options. Having found the cathedral, I decided to stay there a bit longer whilst Nicky and Margaret went into town for some retail opportunities, and I purchased a photo permit at the cathedral shop so that I could take some pictures.

Hereford has connections with two of my favourite composers. One of them was organist at the cathedral during the first half of the nineteenth century, whilst the other lived in the city for a few years in the early part of the twentieth. The first is commemorated on a board in the cathedral listing all of the organists there over the last 800 years or so, whilst the other has a rather splendid sculpture in the cathedral grounds, leaning on his bicycle and looking up at the tower.

Organists Gazing

Once I'd finished taking pictures, I made my way into town to meet up with the others. They had failed in one of their missions from Jake (a particular computer game) but had found a consolation prize in the market, where a stall was selling imported American food and drinks, and so Jake scored a few treats normally reserved for trips to Orlando!

Anyway, here are a few more pictures from the cathedral.

  Hereford Cathedral Hereford Cathedral Stained glass Stained glass Crypt Hereford Cathedral