Tuesday 10 July 2012

Beach

Long time, no post.

Poor form, I know.

And it's not as though there is nothing to report on either. Perhaps I will have to do some posts covering what we've been up to over the last month or so.

Yesterday, Jake had a bonus day off in lieu of Founder's Day which was on Saturday (more about that in another post should I ever get round to it!) and so we decided to make it a day out, and ignoring the dire weather, collected up Owen, and Nanny and Grandad, and headed for the coast at Dymchurch.

When we arrived, we well and truly had the beach to ourselves.


JMW


What an opportunity for a game of beach cricket, although we did have to gradually move the wicket down the beach as we kicked up the sand.


Beach cricket


Once we'd had our fill of cricket, kite-flying, and paddling in the sea (which was a long walk away!) we packed up and moved along to the arcade for some play. Jake and Owen won lots of tickets, and traded them in for a squishy angry bird and some sweets, whilst the rest of us made a beeline for the coin shovers. I took a look at the prizes on offer, and decided that it was time to push the boat out and move on up to the 10p machines. (Yes, I know, I'll be heading straight for the roped off high-roller area next time we go to Vegas now!!) Best not to think about how many coins I put in, but I came away with a watch and a clock, so I was happy!

Jake and Owen had a go on the rides, although I think they might be getting a little bit too old for the Ghost Train!


Ghost train


(Mind you, just to embarrass them, I think they enjoyed the rides when they went for Jake's 8th birthday day out!!)



On the Jumpin' star


Also in Dymchurch a trip to the Pilgrims Hospice bookshop is a must. Great selection and bargain basement prices, and I came away with two hardbacks for £1 (a Cornwell and a Patterson).

After a snack for lunch, we headed along the coast to Folkestone, where despite the high tide, more beach play was enjoyed before a fish and chip tea.

A great day out.


SeagullsJ & O on the beachFolkestone's mermaidFolkestone