Tuesday 19 March 2013

Overdue

Definitely long overdue for an update to the blog. I was sat reading through old posts last night, and thoroughly enjoying them (they were written mostly for this purpose after all), but it made me realise that I have been missing out recently by not blogging. Seeing some of the older posts reminded me of things that would otherwise have long been forgotten, and so now is the time to start up once again, reporting on the little things in life.

I worked from home today, which I have managed to do about once a week over the last few weeks. I thoroughly appreciate not having to face the M25 every day, especially with its rotten roadworks between 5 and 7. A couple of weeks ago, I had a four and a half hour journey home, and that was no fun at all. Mind you, I did sense a slight undercurrent in my boss's voice when talking to him on the phone at one point earlier on - "oh, you're working from home again". Will have to keep an eye on things there - make sure people realise that I am still working (surely the fact that I was on the phone to him was a clue!).

Anyway, there were a couple of practical reasons why working from home was sensible today - I needed to go into Maidstone so that I could go to the Post Office there and get an IDP (International Driving Permit). Seems highly unlikely that I'll actually need one when I'm in the US next week, but better safe than sorry. The fact that I could have lunch with Nicky at The Living Cafe was an added bonus (she even stood up the Samsung repair man for me - he's coming on Friday now!).

The other good reason for working from home today was that Jake and I had an appointment at the dentist, which went well apart from the stark warnings about acid erosion risks as a result of a liking for fizzy and sugary drinks. Not good news when your favourite tipple is a glass of Mountain Dew! For our sins, we've both been booked in to see the hygienist in a couple of weeks. Plus, we should be getting a referral to go and see the orthodontist in Maidstone some time soon. Maybe braces beckon?