Friday 6 January 2017

35 books

Last year, by my own standards, was a slow one for reading. Having set myself the challenge six years ago of reading 50 books a year I came in way short at 35. Still, there were some good highlights along the way. In roughly chronological order:
  1. The Steep Approach to Garbadale by Iain Banks. Always good. Bound to read some more by him in 2017.
  2. End of Watch by Stephen King. Bye bye Bill Hodges. Having been reading about you for the last two years, I just couldn't believe what got you in the end. Heartbreaking.
  3. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Now I know what all the fuss has been about.
  4. Half the World and Half a War by Joe Abercrombie, finishing the trilogy. Enjoyed it so much I bought a signed hardback of the last instalment and may have to collect signed copies of the other two.
  5. Enduring Love by Ian McEwan. Another author about whom I am glad there is a fair amount of back catalogue still to work through.
  6. More Letters of Note compiled by Shaun Usher. Still a genius idea and beautifully done. Sentimentally special as well. Bring on volume three.
  7. Any Human Heart by William Boyd (and then The Dream Lover short story collection later in the year). A fantastic journey through the 20th century and a top recommendation from Ian.
  8. A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters. Can a book you've not read before be quite so familiar? Fully intend to read the whole series. Makes me think of Dad.
  9. Started Early, Took my Dog by Kate Atkinson. Borrowed from Bec and devoured on a trip to KL. Last book featuring Jackson Brodie. Finished it and immediately started reading the first one, Case Histories! Thanks for the recommendation.
  10. Kill Your Friends by John Niven. Awful, just awful, but a guilty pleasure.
A post for another day on what I am looking forward in particular to reading in 2017 ...