Wednesday 5 July 2017

Looking down to look up

As I mentioned, I spent the morning of Jake's and my day in Durham having a look around the city, and based on advice given, this included a trip to the cathedral which is, after all, quite hard to miss being built on the top of the hill. Having had a wander around inside, I sat down inside one of the smaller chapels for a quiet moment of contemplation, away from the tourists and their cameras, and at times it was just me and a lady working on a flower arrangement.

I could hear the muffled sound of a tour guide, showing a group around somewhere else in the building, and I couldn't help but think about how many visitors were just there for the sights or for the history, rather than for anything more. As I sat there, I looked down, and noticed markings in the stone floor. There was a row of rounded out square indentations in one area, and then in another two rows of metallic-looking parallel tracks. I wondered what they could be for, maybe from a different configuration of the building that could have been in place centuries ago. Surely in a place like this there would be some record to show what that was, and things wouldn't just get forgotten.

Just as I believe that someone knows the answers to the other difficult questions I was asking as I sat there quietly.

Floor