Sunday 30 March 2008

Sky Broadband

The good news is that Sky Broadband is now up and running, having installed the new router yesterday. As always I'm nervous about setting routers and wireless networks, because frankly I don't really understand them! However, there were only a few glitches along the way this time.
It seemed to take a while for the router to show a constant green light, meaning that it was connected properly to the broadband line, but got there in the end. I can't claim any meaningful input on that, other than turning the box off and on a few times.
Having got that far I had some trouble with getting the laptop to connect wirelessly, and got to the point of calling the support number. Whilst on hold I was looking at the access code, and thought "I wonder if that's an O rather than a 0, and sure enough connected up no problems with the change. I then had to explain to the person who'd come on the line whilst I was doing this that I'd solved my own problem!
The final challenge came with the desktop, as it transpires that my Vaio desktop, being 5 years old now, can't cope with the latest encryption methods which the router had as their default setting, so I had to lower the network security, reconnect the laptop, and then I could get the desktop to connect as well.
Still, all done now!
(Seems faster downloading, but per the status screen, the uploading speed looks slower than the one I previously had with Orange - will have to see how I get one next time I'm uploading photos.)