Friday 11 September 2009

Starting Over

I finished off "Starting Over" on Thursday night, the latest book from Tony Parsons. I was looking at it the day before I had my funny turn (!) and thought that it sounded like an amusing but slightly silly idea about a man who has a heart transplant, and whose personality and outlook on life seems to change completely as a result.

Sensing a small amount of current relevance, Nicky bought it for me on the way down to Southampton to get on our mini cruise, but I didn't get round to starting it until after we'd got home.

The book was a light and entertaining read, all about families and how they change over time as one generation grows up, another finds its way into and through middle age, and how the grandparents start to get properly old! I'm not sure that I can necessarily tell you that the book reached any epic and surprising conclusions, but I think that the overall conclusions were a mixture of carpe-ing the diem and realising and valuing what you've already got.

Today has been a lazy day (for me anyway) and I had a long lie in, got up late, and pretty much all I've done is take the dog on a nice long walk. The house is full of flowers - a sign that 11+ tests are about to happen, and Nicky has just headed off to the shops, taking the IQ out for a spin for the first time. Jake is shouting at the TV because Chelsea are only drawing against Stoke with only a few minutes to go.

I've been thinking about things that I failed to mention in my previous post about things to do when we go to Florida in December, and here's a couple more:
  • have a go on the Segways at Ecpot

  • go for a skillet lunch at the Whispering Canyon Cafe.

By the way Chelsea have just scored deep into injury time and so smiles have reappeared on the other sofa!