Wednesday 8 December 2010

Advent

According to our the numbers hanging on our Christmas countdown, it is just 17 days to Christmas, and the excitement continues to build nicely. Being the helpful soul that she is, Nicky seems to have taken to sending me a daily text with more ideas of what I could buy for her Christmas stocking! I really must do some wrapping up soon - she knows where my hiding place is!

As well as being two and a half weeks to the big day, today also marks the 30th anniversary of the sudden and shocking death of John Lennon. I think that his murder was probably one of those JFK-type moments for which people can recall what they were doing or where they were when they heard the news. Having said that, I'm not really sure if it properly registered with me at the time - I was only little after all.

For me, the song I think of first when I think of John Lennon is "Imagine". A truly beautiful song, but as we prepare for Christmas, with a couple of lines that have always bothered me a bit: "Imagine there's no heaven" and then later "... and no religion too". I don't want to imagine there being no religion or no heaven - both of them are rather important to me!

However, this probably shows me listening to snippets without listening to the wider message and context. The "and no religion too" follows straight on from "Nothing to kill or die for" and even though it was released nearly 40 years ago seems like a message worth listening to today. Too many people in this world commit acts of violence, justifying them on religious grounds.

In the same way, the song's opening line, "Imagine there's no heaven" comes at the beginning of a verse which goes on to say "Imagine all the people, living for today". For me, this means that there's nothing wrong with believing in a heaven - just that I shouldn't let it stop me making the most of the world I live in today.

The importance of making the most of each day was the theme of the pause for thought on the radio this morning, and in particular how children give us a wonderful opportunity to do just that. Good lesson, and one I keep trying to learn.

Just to completely finish me off, the next song on the radio was Universal Child by Annie Lennox, which features on her new album of Christmas music. Listening to the words, and reflecting on Annie's reputation for championing the causes of children, particularly in Africa, it seems like the lyrics could be referring to one particular child, born in a stable two thousand years ago, but also to many thousands of others struggling and suffering now.

And when I look into your eyes, so innocent and pure
I see the shadow of the things that you've had to endure
I see the tracks of every tear that ran down your face
I see the hurt, I see the pain, I see the human race.

So, I'm looking forward to Christmas. Bring on the presents, bring on the good food and the holidays.

But bring on too to opportunity to stop for a moment and remember what it's all really about.