Friday 17 December 2010

Nearly Christmas

So, the end of the week is here, and a long one it was too. Jake has broken up for Christmas, but sadly I can't say the same. A certain volcanic ash cloud rather mucked up my holiday planning this year. Still, getting an extra week in California was worth it even if it means I have to work right up to Christmas.

Thinking of holiday plans, it's salary review time at work, and the powers that be decided that I was worthy of a small raise. I have already "spent" a sizable chunk of it on buying an extra 5 days of holiday during 2011. Seemed like a good plan, and what with a bonus public holiday thanks to next year's royal wedding, I should be set for getting a decent amount of time off.

As is well known, we have operated a policy of home one year, away the next year when it comes to planning Christmas, and 2010 is a home year. This is all fine and dandy, and I'm looking forward to the traditional family Christmas - presents under the tree, turkey and all the trimmings, watching old movies, playing board games and doing puzzles! But the strange thing is that having been away for Christmas several times in recent years, there are certain Christmassy things that make me think more of Florida than they do of home. A good case in point is listening to the radio at the moment, where it's not possible to do a journey of any great length without hearing Bing and his White Christmas. That song really makes me think of the WDW resorts, wandering around in the warm weather laughing at the "sleigh-bells in the snow". Be back there next year ...

The other radio comment from today is listening to a song from Michael Jackson's new album. I'm a big fan of his ballads, and "Much Too Soon" is right up there. Poignant sentiment from a posthumous album.

My busy week this week started on Monday with meetings in London, and my first one finished with enough time to walk to my second (near St Paul's to London Bridge). Half way across the Millennium Bridge I remembered that I had a camera in my bag, put there last week when I thought (wrongly) that going to the Olympic site in Stratford would yield some photo opportunities.







Holidays are comin' ....