Thursday 9 December 2010

Olympic

Yesterday's post was about Advent, and the countdown to Christmas. Well, here's another countdown for you - it's 596 days until the 2012 London Olympic games.

As I have blogged and/or tweeted about before, I am a big fan of the fast train in to London from Ebbsfleet, and today i was on it again. Between Ebbsfleet and St Pancras it only has one stop, and for the first time today I got off at that stop - Stratford International. In anticipation of emerging to amazing sights and views of the Olympic stadia nearing completion I had lobbed a camera in my bag this morning, but I needn't have have bothered. When I emerged from the station I was in a building site in what appeared to be the middle of the athlete's village. There was no question of having a quick wander around as everyone got onto a shuttle bus from the International station to Stratford everything else station.

The reason for doing this was that I had a meeting in Canary Wharf. The meeting was at the offices of an investment bank, and our plush meeting room on the 14th floor had west-facing windows with glorious views of the City in the winter sunshine. Seeing the City laid out before us it was clear that the shard is going to be quite something when it's finished.

Haven't been to Canary Wharf before either. Would have been nice to take some time to have a look round after the meeting, but no such luck - had to dash back to the office.

To complete an Olympic day, we had a visitor to our office today who came to talk to us about her preparation for London 2012 - a member of the GB ladies wheelchair basketball team.

Hope we manage to score some Olympic tickets - and some Paralympic ones too.