Thursday 11 June 2020

Auto

I've been a member of Flickr since 2007, and a big fan of having it there as a way to store all of my digital photos. Being able to keep them all in albums, and adding tags to them is great, albeit time-consuming on the way in, as it means that I can track down happy memories so much more easily. I was amazing that this was a free and unlimited service for so long, and I didn't mind when Smugmug took over, and recently started to make a small charge for the service. After all, I have >15,000 photos safely tucked away there.

However, I am hopelessly out of date. For about the last five years, uploading has been pretty patchy and sporadic, and getting back up to date is a daunting task. The point at which I started to fail with uploading roughly corresponds with the major shift (at least for me) in how photography happened. I stopped taking very many photos with an actual camera, and almost everything started to be recorded using the camera on my phone. The problem that then arises is that the phone camera gets used for all sorts of other things as well as 'photography' (i.e. taking photos that are the sorts of things worthy of keeping for posterity). The camera gets used to grab screenshots, to use as a reminder, to show someone something in a message, and all sorts of other rubbish. So sorting the wheat from the chaff is a nightmare, and I seem to have rather abandoned the task.

Well, rather bizarrely the other day whilst on Flickr I noticed that there seemed to be a few photos on there that I had no recollection of uploading. I turned out that Nicky had set her Flickr app to auto upload for a little while. Seemed like an excellent idea, and so we have left it running. There are about 10,000 photos on our joint icloud account, so it will be interesting to see how long they take to transfer into Flickr.

Also, I know that this just solves one problem to create another - namely that Flickr will then be rammed full of photos that are not sorted into albums, not tagged, and likely to have loads of photos that we don't want to save and need to be deleted.

By hey, it's a start!