Wednesday 8 July 2020

Matilda

I've read Matilda, inspired by the fact that it is on my '100 books bucket list' poster. Slightly surprisingly, I hadn't read it before. In fact, now that I come to think of it, I can only really bring to mind Charlie and Danny as racing certainties of Dahl children's books that I have read before. As I will happily go on at length about, Danny is one of my all time favourites, and I have read it several times. Sitting here typing this, I can very easily call to mind Danny, his father, their little caravan, and their adventure in the woods. Now there was a wonderful story.

So, how did I feel about Matilda? Well, it was ok. Maybe there's a certain risk to coming to children's books for the first time as an adult (although aren't the best ones supposed to work for all ages). For me, Matilda wasn't the star of the show, and nor was the villain of the piece Mrs Trunchbull. No, the hero by some distance was the lovely Miss Honey. Again, maybe this says more about the reader than the book. Perhaps it evoked memories of being every so slightly besotted with one's infant / junior school teachers as a little boy!

(This post is a bit of a cheat, as I had parked it for updating later, as it was Wednesdays' post, awaiting update later, and I didn't actually finish Matilda until Friday.)