Thursday 28 October 2021

Judge

 Having worked remotely for Mon-Wed, this was my first trip to Tunbridge Wells of the week. Took the opportunity to pop to the bookshops at lunchtime. Smiths had the half-price offer on the new Grisham, so was the favoured supplier for that one, but also, to my surprise, Waterstones had a few signed (first edition) copies of Thursday Murder Club book 2 out on a table, and I couldn't resist picking one of those up. Now, I can't imagine that Mr Osman has needed to work too hard to shift book 2 after the spectacular success of book 1 (a quick look at my gift hardback copy of book 1 and I see that it is the 23rd printing) but I expect that the publisher still made him sign a few thousand. Still surprising to see signed firsts still the shops when the unsigned ones are up to the 9th printing.

As for Grisham's new book, I am a sucker for buying his books as soon as they come out. Apparently this one is about a judge who turns out to be a serial killer. A little bit worried about the premise if I'm honest - sounds suspiciously like some lazy bandwagon (Patterson anyone?!) writing, but we will see. I remember when Grisham used to write stuff with a message (Chamber). Not sure what the message is going to be here - serial killers are bad people?