Wednesday 25 February 2009

At Changi lounge

Well I have arrived at Singapore and am in the lounge awaiting my connecting flight through to Jakarta which is due to leave in a couple of hours. The flight over from Heathrow went smoothly. The A380 is certainly an impressive aircraft. As can be seen from the picture on the previous post the seats in Business Class are enormous, and it would be possible to sit two people next to each other on one seat. The plane is configured so that there are only 4 seats across in business class, in an area that seems about the same width as the main deck of the 747 we flew back from the US with Virgin on, where they fit 10 economy seats across!

The back of the seat folds down to reveal the bed, which then extends out to a full length flat bed. I managed to doze for a few hours, but gave up on trying to have a proper night's sleep when I had been tossing and turning for a while, and so I listened to an audio book to kill the time. (I listened to a Kathy Reichs book called "Break no bones" and was just getting towards the end when they turned the entertainment system off as we were coming in to land! I think that the case had essentially been solved, so to speak, but no doubt with books like this there will be a few final twists and turns at the end. I'll have to listen to the last couple of chapters on the way home!)

The on board entertainment system is impressive - with hundreds of movies, TV shows, albums, radio stations and so on available to listen to on demand. I watched a couple of episodes of some US comedy series that I haven't watched much up to now - 30 Rock, and the on with Kelsey Grammar as a news anchor, that he went on to do after Frasier finished. I don't think in lasted too many series, but it's quite funny, and his co-star is Raymond's wife from Everybody Loves Raymond!

I also listened to some of our Virgin Megastore album purchases on the train on the way to the airport - in particular the $5 bargain one - certainly brought back some memories!

I'm already looking forward to getting back to Changi on Friday! Hopefully the next couple of days will go ok - the plan is to spend this afternoon in the office (provided that I'm granted a visa on arrival and allowed into the country!) and then at least some of tomorrow and Friday with the client before heading back to the airport on Friday afternoon. Then I will get a full day in Singapore on Saturday before flying home on Sunday, and will get to enjoy a couple of nights at the Fullerton. The key thing that I have to remember is "Mint Mark". Nicky knows why!

Right I'm off to get a drink and then I might have a little wander around the shops downstairs before heading to gate F60.