Thursday 26 February 2009

Jakarta

Just a quick post before heading off to start the day - my colleagues from the local firm will be picking me up shortly to take me to the client offices for a day of meetings.

I got on OK yesterday, and didn't suffer too much with the jet lag. I had meetings from about 2:30 until 5:30 and was certainly glad to get back to the hotel. I ordered room service (pizza) and then feel into bed at about 8 o'clock with the sleep timer on the TV. I have no memory at all of the TV going off, and I slept like a baby until just before 4am. I was then awake for about an hour and a half (and watched TV for a while - golf show going on about Tiger's return!), but managed to doze off again for another hour or two of sleep before the alarms went off.

The Jakarta roads continue to be as "interesting" as ever - I got a taxi between hotel and office yesterday. Road lanes - ha - what are they! On the way to the office we were squeezed out so much that the taxi wing mirror scraped all along the side of another car, leaving a little row of dents. On the way back, due to the weird road system that this city has we have to go a couple of miles past the hotel as it is on the wrong side of the road, and then finally find a roundabout to turn around at and come back on the right side. I remembered this from previous visits, so wasn't too concerned when we went past. My taxi driver obviously felt the need to explain this in detail to me as it happened, but as we didn't exactly share a language it was rather comical!

A couple of other things that have struck me whilst I've been here. The first was on the way back in the taxi yesterday. There are little motorbikes and scooters everywhere on the roads, adding to the chaos and weaving in and out of the traffic and the queues, and as we sat at some lights, a moped pulled up in front of us carrying a cargo of three. The adult in the front was wearing a helmet, but wedged in behind him were two little boys, just in their shorts and t-shirts, and no sign of any helmets or any other protective gear. They looked like twins, wearing matching T-shirts - different colours but the same logo on the sleeves. They looked like they were about seven or eight years old.

The second was the sad news that David Cameron's son Ivan died yesterday. He was only six years old, and clearly had suffered during his short life.

It all puts me in need of a hug from my JJ !