Sunday 18 October 2009

Delicious

Sat by the side of the pool again on a Sunday morning. I seem to have had a few weeks off but back to Sunday swim blogging again.

As is well known, I'm really looking forward to getting my Mac, and fingers crossed it won't be more than a couple of weeks now until I can do so. No doubt it will take a while to get used to it, but I'm sure that I will enjoy iPhoto, iMovie, Garage Band and so on that will come preinstalled.

I've also been looking at some other bits of software that tempt me. One in particular is called Delicious Library, and it is a catalogue system for books, CDs, DVDs and so on. Its particular USP is that there should be no need to type in lots of information as it enables the iSight camera to read product barcodes. It then searches through product databases, most notably on Amazon, and then populates all of the information in the database for you.

Sounds pretty cool to me. I'm hoping that it will be possible add some more information to the database to show when I've read a particular book. The problem I have at the moment is that there are some authors where I have so many of their books that I can't remember which ones I've read and which ones I haven't. For the record I finished The Broken Window by Jeffrey Deaver this week. Fairly standard Lincoln Rhyme stuff, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Nicky remains to be convinced about the catalogue software. I think she has vi sons of me being sat at the Mac surrounded by boxes that I've dragged out of the loft. Truth be told, she's probably right, but then again I'm hoping that when we've completed some of our planned changes at home (especially converting the garage) there will be enough space to get lots of the books back on shelves rather than hidden away in boxes.