Monday 20 September 2010

Photos

Photos are precious aren't they? I love my digital cameras, but perhaps they have devalued the currency somewhat. I remember getting my first camera, and being acutely aware that I was limited to the 24 or 36 pictures on the film and that I had to be careful in choosing what shots to take as there was no going back, and I risked the disappointment of getting a whole load of duff ones back from Boots if I mucked things up. Now it's too easy and I click away almost non stop when we're on holiday without a care in the world, knowing that there is no risk associated with taking a whole load of rubbish ones - they can just be deleted, and hey, if I take enough photos, there's bound to be a few good ones in there somewhere.

As the poor unfortunates who have to sit through my holiday snaps will know, I am then hopeless at sorting out the wheat from the chaff and I end up with far too many pictures in my albums ("and there's a picture of the Disney castle from the back, and there's a picture of it upsidedown reflected in the moat, here's one of Mickey in front of the castle, and here some blurred fireworks going off behind it" ... and so on - you get the picture!).

A quick check on iphoto reveals that my California photos from earlier this year run to just over 2,200, and I currently have a total of over 9,000 uploaded to Flickr, of which our dog Barley is tagged as appearing in over 300 of them!

One of my many planned projects (obviously based on there being an infinite number of hours in every day) is to dig out the shoebox-loads of photos from the loft, scan them in and upload them, and then when I've done that I can carry on harassing Dad about borrowing a load more of his old slides to scan and upload them ...

Sometimes, you are reminded of how properly important photos can be, and that happened to me last year when clearing out at Haig Avenue and coming across old photos here and there. I think that most of them have ended up in the garage or basement at Maidstone Road now, but on its way out I did manage to borrow and scan one in. On the back was the inscription "Margate 1950". What it proves is that, other than the colour of her hair, Nan really never did change at all, and also that Dad looks like his Dad, and looking at it, maybe I do just a little bit too - I suppose I must be roughly the same age now as he was when this was taken.