Sunday 19 September 2010

Two songs

I suppose that this is a sign of my vanity, but my website is also my browser's homepage, so whenever I click on a new Safari window, up it pops. As I mentioned in a tweet the other day, at times in this house it is necessary to book your time on the computer, especially now that we've relented and let Jake have his own Facebook account. Even Jake has commented to me that I am seriously overdue for another blog, seeing that the last one was a fortnight ago! Mrs Shrewsday puts me to shame - a daily blog of top quality, rather than my occasional waffle!

There have been numerous occasions over the last two weeks when I've thought that something was worthy of a blog comment, but I have no idea what any of them are now. The last couple of weeks have been fairly busy for all of us, with the joys of school selection tests combined with the equal joy of promotion selection tests. Jake will be done with his after next Saturday. I could be finished in early October, if the powers that be decide that I am no good, or alternatively if they like me then the fun and games will go on until about April - marvellous!

Jake has had his first two football games with his team now, one today and one last Sunday. Both were defeats, but everyone is doing their best to keep the boys' spirits up, reminding them that these are the first two games that they have ever played as a team, and they have been playing against boys who have been playing together for a few seasons already. I was particularly impressed with today's referee - he made a point of having a word with both teams after the final whistle, and when he came over to Jake's team he explained to them how impressed he was with them given that they were just starting out. He said that even though they conceded a few early goals, they kept on trying and stuck at it for the whole match, and that they should be proud of themselves. Well, obviously the team coach and all the Dads are going to say that anyway, but when the ref says it, I hope that it really made an impression on the boys. No fixture next Sunday so they've got another couple of training sessions before their next game.

Jake and I are getting into the sporty thing and went over to the Bridgewood Manor for a game of tennis yesterday (the hotel made famous some years ago by a certain someone wandering in to their restaurant, rather later than planned having been rescuing goldfish, and putting in a request for egg and chips!). Jake is doing really well with his tennis and we will have to go again - beats playing on the street in front of the house. It also looks like the court doesn't get very booked up given that we only phoned on Saturday morning and yet still had our pick of times in the day. They were supposed to charge us £8 for using the court but forgot to do so - made the £5.20 for two Cokes in the bar afterwards slightly less painful!

I've been enjoying listening to Mark Schultz over the last couple of weeks - we bought a couple of his albums from iTunes at a bargain price, and I've fallen in love with the song "Walking Her Home". It reminds me, in terms of sentiment, of Joshua Kadison's "Beautiful in my eyes". (Both of the songs are on Spotify, or on iTunes - check them out, they're fab.)

Both of these two songs are about lifelong love, and they bring a tear to my eye every time that I listen to them - I'm reminded of how lucky I am to have found just that.