Saturday 24 September 2011

Bonus

Today is a two-post day, caused by the fact that my attempted emailed post on Monday failed to get through, and by doing two today I get back to my tally of one per day.

The previous post isn't particularly recommended reading! I'm hoping that Dad might enjoy it, but other than that, I can't imagine that it will appeal to many. My extensive waffling on about Pi was inspired by reading "Born on a Blue Day" - a book which Mum lent to me when I visited, and which was a good read. The author, Daniel Tammet, is a young man who lives with both aspergers and savant syndrome, and his book did a great job of helping me to understand these conditions a little bit better.

One of the challenges that Tammet sets himself is to break the European record for memorising the decimal places within Pi, and he does so by recalling it to over 22,500 digits, which is a pretty amazing achievement. However, within his chapter on this, he mentions a way of approximating Pi, and this got me to thinking, hence the previous post.

Today has been a proper weekend day for all of us - no teaching for Nicky today (and none next week either which will be a well-deserved break) and it has ended up being a bit of a sporting day - with a trip along the road to for a game of tennis before lunch, and then a visit to the driving range for Jake and I this afternoon, where we enjoying bashing some golf balls. Jake was doing pretty well - I think I may have to keep encouraging him with the golf, and who knows, maybe we will be able to enjoy a round together sometime in the not too distant future. Perhaps he and I should go and have a few lessons (the only problem being that I am a little nervous bringing up the subject of golf lessons due to the wasting of previous presents).

Finally for today, it turns out that we have famous friends. If you don't believe me, check out this extract from today's Times newspaper:


Kate in the Times