Monday 13 July 2015

30 years

Live Aid was 30 years ago today.

It's entertaining to think back to what my 12 year-old self was like back at this point in 1985. I'd just about survived my first year at the Math. Not entirely sure that I'd enjoyed it. I suppose that by this point I was basking in the glow of my 98% maths result - top in the year by 8% from Crockford in second, and he and I were about to head off to dig holes on beaches in the Isle of Wight. However, I remember some times in that first year when that school seemed alarmingly large (even if it is 50% bigger now) and by then I would have suffered the various delights of getting squashed in the scrum at rugby, embarrassed by my inability to swim a width of the pool, and wheezed my way up Cookham Hill during cross country.

As for the Live Aid concert itself, whilst I love all of that 80s music now, something tells me that slap bang in the middle of the decade I wasn't a very with it 12 year-old at all. Probably a bit too much piano and choir and not enough top 40 - that was still a few years away for me.

I think that I vaguely remember the concert being on the telly, but I don't suppose I was paying much attention. I probably have my much cooler older sister to thank for it being on at all.