Thursday 2 July 2015

Rain

A bit of a break in the weather today, and after a late-ish start, listening in to a training call followed by a very pleasant breakfast in the garden with Nicky, there were a few spots of rain on the way to work, and then I got a bit wet on my wander into town at lunchtime. But still quite refreshing compared to the last few days.

I recently read (from the library) the latest Grisham Boone book (The Fugitive), and whilst it was enjoyable, it inevitably wasn't a particularly chunky storyline, what with it being aimed at kids after all, and so I decided to go back to one of the earlier books, and have just read The Rainmaker, which I no doubt read for the first time pretty soon after it came out twenty years ago. Whilst I have the paperback sat on the shelf, I took advantage of the Overdrive app and borrowed the ebook. This meant that I could  read it in occasional free moments on both the iPad and even the iPhone, as I have the app on both devices, and the two versions even know where you are in the book - all very clever.

Anyway, the book was excellent - all about a young lawyer in Memphis bringing down a dodgy insurance company, and it comes with lots of the typical Grisham trademarks - the David and Goliath struggle, the subterfuge and suspense, the very clear sense of right and wrong, but above all, the delight in being swept along with a jolly good story.