Friday 5 January 2018

41 in review

Time for a quick 'year in review' moment. I achieved 82% of my target, and read 41 books in 2017, according to my Goodreads records, which was at least a step in the right direction from the 35 of the previous year. Thanks to the analysis tools that the site provides, I apparently read 12,600 pages over the year (I make that an average of 35 a day, so when put like that doesn't actually seem all that much).

I definitely favour modern works, having read only eight books published before 2000, only one of which (Diary of a Nobody) was published before 1900. Also, it seems that I have (as suspected) a slight preference for the made up stuff, with fiction beating non fiction by 26 to 15.

Looking at individual authors, my favourite for the year was Kate Atkinson with five, followed by John Grisham with four. Grisham continues to be in first place with 20 'since records began' (start of 2011), but Kate Atkinson is now up to 5th with 7.

Enough of the nerdy stats, from a qualitative perspective, some of my 2017 highlights would have to be:

  • When Breath Becomes Air - very moving account by a very smart guy.
  • Human Croquet - probably my top pick of the Atkinson's of the year.
  • The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy - wasn't sure if I was going to like this one as much as Harold Fry, but thought it was fantastic, even if the ending upset me a great deal. Had the opportunity to talk to the author at a signing, and told her so!
  • The Year of Reading Dangerously - encouraging stuff for a determined reader, although I don't suppose I'll ever manage quite so many classics (see above re preponderance of modern publications).
  • The Heart of What Was Lost - an opportunity to return to Osten Ard and to be introduced to a new story. Must get stuck into The Witchwood Crown soon.
  • Ordinary Thunderstorms - Boyd writes a great story. Loved Any Human Heart, and this was top quality as well. Must read some more of his.