Tuesday 26 May 2020

Razor

Whilst we were in Key West in February, I still managed to track down a few bookshops just off Duval Street. Typical of me, I know, but that's just who I am. Anyway, in one of them (Key West Island Books) I found some signed firsts of Carl Hiaasen's, which were a must, so I bought a copy of the oldest one there, Skin Tight, his third (single author) book from the late 1980s.

Hiaasen books

Fast forward to this bank holiday weekend, and I finally get round to reading his most recent novel, Razor Girl (2016), which has been on the shelves since publication, and I am delighted to find that it is set on Key West, and so a whole load of references (Duval, Mallory, Southernmost, and so on) mean more to me now than if I'd read it straight away.

As expected, it's typical Hiaasen stuff, and huge amounts of fun.

One of the reasons for reading it now is that a look on his website reveals that Carl has a new book coming out in the summer, and to quote from the site: "Squeeze Me captures the Trump era with Carl's inimitable savage humor and wonderful, eccentric characters. A surefire best seller."