Monday 28 July 2008

Last lecture

I'm on my way home from London on the train, typing very slowly on my iPod touch whilst listening to Josh Groban. Hopefully this message will send when I get home and connect to wifi. I would use the PDA but the battery has died.

Been in the London office today to meet with colleagues from the US, followed by dinner at the Bleeding Heart restaurant. (The man opposite me on the train seems to be finding his mobile phone very funny and it's starting to annoy - I can hear him despite my noise-cancelling earphones!) Food was good, even if they do insist on putting the rather gruesome story of why the restaurant is called what it is on the back of the menu.

I'm reading the paper on the train and have just got to the obituary section which has an article about Randy Pausch who died on Friday. I vaguely remember hearing about him before. A college professor, he gave a "last lecture" after being diagnosed with cancer and being given a few months to live. The lecture was recorded and became something of an Internet phenomenon. It's all about making the most of the time that we are given - carpe-ing the diem so to speak. He also wrote a book after the lecture became so popular.

I must track down one or both of them.