Saturday 21 January 2012

Home sharing

Discovering the joys of "home sharing" with iTunes today. Currently I don't have a whole lot of music on the MacBook Air, and I'd like to start sync'ing my iPhone with the MacBook (I want to get a my favourite music onto my phone as I've discovered how to use my phone as a music player in the car) and the challenge is that all of the iTunes library currently resides on the "Big Mac".

Turns out that the answer is two-fold and is nice and easy (and having no disc drive on the MacBook is officially not a problem). Firstly, for music that has been previously purchased through iTunes, Apple are clever enough to have remembered all of the things we've bought, and is happy for us to download it again onto another computer. Splendid. Secondly, for music that we've uploaded to the Big Mac library from CD, if I turn on "home sharing" on both computers, I can review the library from the MacBook, and import whatever I fancy. Magic!