Friday 8 July 2011

The End

Everything seems to be ending at the moment. The News of the World is shutting up shop after this weekend's edition, and the headline writers were having lots of fun with this in today's papers - things like "The end of the World is nigh" and "Goodbye cruel World". Kind of appropriate to pun the punners. Mind you, it has been rather alarming to see the other news headlines today - "Coulson arrested"!

The last ever Space Shuttle mission has departed from Cape Kennedy - the end of an era. I feel a bit like I've grown up with the Shuttle - its first mission was when I was little, I remember the news coming through of the Challenger disaster - for some reason I remember Bec telling me, as she'd heard it on the radio, and then more recently we'd been to see the Shuttle's home in Orlando.

Space Shuttle
The other era-ending moment today was Jonny's departure from the breakfast show. Frustratingly I didn't manage to hear much of the show today as I spent most of my journey to work on a conference call, so I may have to use the "listen again" feature over the weekend. I have at least listened to the special version of Promise Me sung by Beverley Craven.