Tuesday 26 July 2011

Preparations

Holiday preparations are pretty much complete. They need to be as we will be heading off to the airport in about six hours from now.

As always, selecting which t-shirts to take took me about five minutes, and to the eternal annoyance of my lovely wife, I consider the important things about getting ready for holiday to be making sure that I have downloaded the software I want to my i-pad, sync-ing my i-pod, and collecting up enough chargers and other electrical paraphernalia to sink a battleship.

Moment of panic when we weighed our bags and thought that they were pushing our weight limit already, but relief when we realised that we were reading the lb scale rather than the kg scale and actually we were ok by about a factor of two!

Still haven't made a final decision on which reading books to take. May go spartan on the packing and only put two in - gives me an excuse to have a look at the bookshops at the airport.

Quandary - realised this evening that Mac Book Air is considerably cheaper in the US than the UK. The £849 version in the UK can be acquired in the US (same spec except possibly needing to buy a UK plug when you get home) for $999. At 1.58, which was the rate we got for our spending money, that would be £632, a saving of £217. What to do, what to do? Oh dear!

Jake's laptop is coming on holiday with us (as my Sony laptop is rather old and slow these days) and last night I checked that I can upload our Bloggie videos to Flickr, and sure enough I can (see below for proof). So, if all goes well, I should be able to post photos and videos to the blog over the next ten days.