Thursday 31 July 2014

Day 8 - Airboat

Early start today, and we were up, packed and out the door at Vero just after 7am.

It was well worth it, because we had an 8.30am booking to do something we have never done before in our 18 years of visiting Florida.

Despite a little apprehension (from me) the first time the captain really opened the throttle, the ride was just amazing, and the sights just incredible. I can't find the right words, and the pictures don't really do it justice, but I'll let them try.

Airboat ride Airboat ride Airboat ride Airboat ride Airboat ride Airboat ride Airboat ride Airboat ride

Our ride (or flight, or whatever the right description is) lasted for just over an hour, and we were away, and onto I-95 for the journey back to Orlando by about 10am. We stopped off in Palm Bay for refuelling in Denny's, and then zoomed on back along 95 and 528 to the familiar surroundings of OKW. We are in 2423 - 2nd floor overlooking what I think is probably the 5th fairway, and as we discovered this evening, facing in the right direction to see the Illuminations fireworks.

Our room was ready when we arrived, and so we unpacked before getting the boat to Downtown. It was interesting having a wander around amongst the hoardings where a huge amount of building work is taking place as Downtown transforms itself into Disney Springs over the next couple of years - all a bit chaotic at the moment. (We'll be back there again tomorrow - exciting plans that to be reported on then.)

This evening back at OKW Jake challenged me to a game of tennis, and we managed to play a set, which took us about an hour and a half! I had several set points when I was 5-4 up but failed to secure any of them, and in the end he beat me 7-4 in a tie break. I definitely need to go for a lie down now!