Sunday 4 December 2011

Profile

I'm going to be famous - yes, even more than I am already. It is going to be my turn to have the profile feature in the church magazine done about me. To this end, I was supplied with 20 questions to consider. Here for your amusement are the answers I gave:


Could you please explain your role in the church?
I have been coming to St Albans for over twenty years, and for most of that time I have been playing the piano for services.
Age:
38
Married:
I am married to the lovely Nicky, and we got married (by Oz and Pam Maton) in St Albans in 1996.
Children:
Jake, who is now 11 and has just started at the Math School in Rochester.
Where are you from?
I was born and brought up in Chatham. Throughout my childhood, we lived on the Chatham Maidstone Road, opposite the football ground, and I went with my family to St Stephen’s Church, where I joined the choir when I was seven.
What did you want to be as a child?
I remember going through a stage of wanting to be a shopkeeper, and have my own sweet shop. I even set up a sweet shop in my bedroom, although I think that I ate all of the profits!
Could you share any precious childhood memories with us?
I especially enjoyed singing in choirs when I was younger, and for a time I sang in the Southern Cathedral Singers, which was lots of fun. However, I particularly remember one Christmas, doing Carols by Candlelight with the church choir, and the choirmaster (Roger Hill) asking me to sing the first verse solo in Once in Royal David’s City.
What is your favourite food?
Cooked breakfast (preferably on holiday!).
What do you watch on television?
Lots of American comedy shows - at the moment I am particularly enjoying The Middle and Modern Family.
What music do you listen to?
All sorts! The radio is currently tuned to Radio 2 so that I can listen to Chris Evans on the way to work.
What is your favourite film?
Like many, I think that The Shawshank Redemption is great, but I also have a soft spot for the Back to the Future trilogy.
What is your day job?
I am an audit director at Deloitte, one of the world’s largest professional services firms.
Can you describe yourself in three words?
Not very easily!
What is your church background?
I was both baptised and confirmed at St Stephen’s in Chatham.
Do you have a favourite hymn, why?
Tough question! I enjoy the vast majority of the hymns that I play in church, and I really don’t think I could pick just one. If I can have a top three, I’ll go for Dear Lord and Father of Mankind, Make me a Channel of your Peace, and My Song is Love Unknown.
Do you have a favourite bible reading?
Chapter 13 of Paul’s first letter to the Christians in Corinth. A truly wonderful and inspiring message.
What do you draw from spiritually?
I am always moved by the combination of beautiful words and music. A lot of the music of John Rutter does just that for me. 
Have you ever had a profound spiritual experience?
No, but I’m looking forward to it!
Where do you see yourself in ten years time?
Probably still playing the keyboard in St Albans. Who knows, I might be a bit better at it by then if I keep practicing!
Is there anything else that you would like to tell us that not many people know about you?
Playing the keyboard runs in the family - many years ago, my Grandfather was the organist at St Stephen’s.