Monday 4 June 2012

Costa Rica

I have arrived at Costa Rica. It is 5pm local time, and so midnight back home. I've got a little while to myself to unpack and relax before meeting people downstairs for a drink at six before we head out for our Sunday night group dinner, in advance of the main event kicking off tomorrow morning.

The flight from Miami was uneventful. Before leaving the hotel I had some time to kill and so was typing up some impressions of the place, which I will cut and paste into here at some point. As you will see they weren't overly glowing, but my thoughts on Miami Airport improved when I got airside in the AA area which was shiny and new (and by the way so large that there was a "sky train" on the roof of the building shuttling people between different areas of the building - and it had four stops - and this was just for the gates for on airline!).

Before I made it airside, I had to go through security, laptops out, shoes off, and then into a little booth where I had to stand on the marks and put my hands above my head - I think it was one of the new body scanners (don't know whether it was one of the ones that "sees through" your clothes or not!), and after stepping out, the security guy still wanted to wave his wand down my right hand side - I don't think I've had a hip replacement that I've forgotten about!

Once I'd wandered up and down the AA area airside for a while to waste some more time (didn't make it end to end - just too far) I went into a cafe and had a pain au chocolat and an apple juice. I should have taken a picture of the pastry really - it was a proper American one - lots of chocolate on the inside, and almost as much on the outside as well.

Then to gate D22 for a short wait before boarding our flight. I shall never cease to be amazed by the size of the bags that American's consider to be "carry on" luggage. Thankfully I was the first one to my row of seats, and so there was still some space in the overhead locker. Flight was uneventful, if a little bumpy on the way down, and I was glad it was only two and a half hours - a combination of unfamiliar bed last night and economy seating (albeit with decent legroom) has left me with an aching back.

Waiting for my bag at the caroussel, one of my American colleagues came over to say hi (I'd met him at the Brighton meeting last year) and to introduce me to a couple of others I'd not met before, and we shared the arranged transfer to the hotel.

And here I am. And now I shall sign off, with some more to follow tomorrow.

By the way, if you're reading this (and don't worry, I'm under no illusions that my readership is extremely small), do me a favour and leave a comment. Nice to hear from home when I'm this far away!