Monday 11 June 2012

Disney Day 2

The alarm woke me at 8am this morning, and after the long day yesterday, I did press the snooze button a couple of times before getting up and ready to face the world (or rather, the World) and so it was a little after nine by the time I made it along to the Animal Kingdom, where I spent a happy few hours wandering around and taking photos.

I did both the Pangani (Africa) and Maharajah (Asia) trails, and got some great photos, particularly of the gorillas in Africa and the tigers in Asia (even if they were both behind glass and fast asleep). I also took some time around the pathways near the tree of life, and the Oasis, where I hadn't spent as much time before. No rides at all, but I enjoyed myself!

By a little after midday it was getting seriously hot, and I was ready for a break, and so I went back to the car, and came back to the hotel for a little siesta. When I woke up there were some texts from home, so we spent some time Face-timing, and I tried (with limited) success to convey a video tour of my immediate surroundings.

It was still pretty warm as I headed back out at about five o'clock (the car made it 107 when I got in, settling to around 100 as I got going). My plan on departure was to head to a Denny's, but coming off I-4 at the exit nearest Vineland, I realised that heading back past Crossroads would be a bad idea, as I'd have to join the queue on the way back. So, I went straight up Vineland and stopped off just before Premium at the Longhorn Steakhouse, where I had a very nice burger followed by key lime pie. (Message to Grandad - there was chowder on the starters menu, but I overcame the urge!).

Had a wander around Premium, and picked up one or two things, and then made my way to Downtown, watching the lightning flashing away in the distance. The radio (Zee 88.3 - love it!) was saying that a big storm was on its way, and sure enough, it arrived at Downtown at the same time that I did. So, I sat in the car for about 40 minutes whilst it was rocked by the wind and pelted by the rain, and watched the light show through the torrents on the windscreen.

Once it had eased off, I went in to Downtown and did some shopping. By the time I left (about 10.45) the rain had pretty much stopped, and there was hardly anyone left around - it was quite pleasant to shop without the crowds.

Back here now and syncing photos onto the Mac and will then get an upload going, so will pause here whilst I do that ...

Right, uploading is proving to be pretty slow, so I will add the few that I've got so far, and try harder tomorrow!


1972 Cubes Japan Quote