Sunday 13 November 2011

Only You

As I do from time to time, I wandered off this evening for a little while to play the piano downstairs. I picked one of my old 80s songbooks off the shelf and played a few things. (A little bit alarming to note how yellowed the edges of the pages are looking these days - makes me feel particularly old, especially as I've had the book since new.)

One of the songs that I played was "Only You", and whilst this may be a Yazoo song, it always makes me think of the Flying Pickets, as I thought that their version was great.

So, when I came back upstairs, I looked them up on Youtube, and sure enough there they were to enjoy. As is always the case with Youtube, thanks to the list of related videos down the side, I ended up looking at loads of videos.

I love the sound of singing in harmony, and I ended up finding a load of a-capella groups. I even had a quick look for the singers who appear as a warm up act for the Beauty and the Beast stage show in Florida (Four for a Dollar / Return to Zero) - at least they used to - we haven't been to see that show in at least five years or so - Beauty and the Beast now being very much in the "not cool" category!

Anyway, I ended up finding a rather fun phenomenon on Youtube - multitrack barbershop singing in which the same person records themselves several times over to do an a-capella version of a song all by themselves. Here's one of the best ones I've found so far.