Sunday 18 May 2014

Changi

Arrived safely at Changi, and am now tucked away in the Singapore Airlines lounge at T2 (having taken the shuttle train from T3 where we landed). I have a couple of hours to kill between flights - inbuilt cautiousness after the Washington debacle - but can happily kill time in here - non stop free food and drink, a computer to sit at and type blogs to my heart's content, and wireless internet meaning that I've already downloaded all of the Sunday Times onto my ipad, and so can study the 2014 Rich List!

We were a few minutes late in leaving Heathrow, caused by waiting for the refueling to finish, but once we were up and away, the flight itself was fine. Unlike my normal routine, I didn't spend the whole time reading (although I did get through about half of Malcolm Gladwell's book) but decided to watch a few movies. So, I enjoyed The Wolf of Wall Street and American Hustle before turning my seat into a bed and getting a bit of shut eye.

(By the way, just checked on Wikipedia, and not surprised to see that both films got a load of Oscar nominations, but am surprised to see that neither of them actually won any. Both DiCaprio and Bale were superb, as was Amy Adams. Maybe I should watch Dallas Buyers Club on the way home, as that was the one that pinched the statuettes.)

Food was up to its usual standards (and don't you love the way I say that as if I was a regular traveller with Singapore Airlines - I wish, I wish, maybe someday in the future my job will call for it (!!!) - I think it must be at least five years since I came this way). The lovely chicken satays served before dinner, a prawn salad starter, pork in a chinese sauce with rice for main, finished off with tiramisu. And that was me being restrained - I declined the offers of wine with the meal, as well as the port and cheese afterwards!

I don't think I slept very much. Most of the time I spent dozing whilst listening to the ipod. I got through all of the Kings Singers Colouring Book, and Mark Schulz's live album, as well as a few other bits and pieces.

Unfortunately, the first track on Mark Schulz's album is a beautiful song called "When You Come Home" which includes the following lyrics:

When you come home
No matter how far
Run through the door
And into my arms
It's where you are loved
It's where you belong
And I will be here
When you come home.

Not the easiest of songs to listen to when you are speeding away from home at hundreds of miles an hour!

Once I was done with snoozing, I put the TV back on and watched another film - this time a rather more flippant one - the second of the Ron Burgandy films. Let's just say it passed the time, and leave it at that!

I went for the continental option from the breakfast selection (fruit plate, juice, croissant, cereal, coffee) and after a few more pages of my book, we were landing back on terra firma.

So far feeling fine jet-lag-wise, but will have to see how I am doing when I get to my hotel in KL later on. I may add some more to this post later on.

I'll leave you now with a few photos of the lounge, and maybe a link to a video on Youtube as well.

(By the way, don't forgot yesterday's request for comments - applies for the entire time I'm away - please.)

Changi Untitled Untitled