Friday 2 May 2014

Kos

A reasonably early start today, even if we are two hours ahead of BST. At least, I thought it was a reasonably easy start, but it turned out that Nicky had been posting messages on Facebook about needing to lever me out of bed.

Breakfast at the hotel was as breakfasts at 5* hotels should be - coffee and juice brought to the table and  lots to choose from (so we chose most of it!) at the buffet. Having filled up on cereal, pastries and chocolate mousse (well, if they put it out at breakfast time it somehow seemed rude not to partake!) I didn't have any space left for cooked, or at least I thought I didn't until Nicky's French toast arrived, and then I did manage to squeeze in a mouthful or two.

Fortified for the day ahead, we set out for the walk into town, and as advertised, it was about 20 minutes. The most common sights on the way in were bike rental places or shops selling a similar line of souvenirs (beach towels with a map of Kos and an impressive display of "designer" products at surprisingly cheap prices!).

Once we'd made it into town we stopped for a drink by the harbour before strolling through the narrow streets, finding some more interesting stores, as well as some impressive historic sites. We found Hippocrates Square, with what I can only assume was the tree he sat beneath a couple of thousand years ago - it certainly looked old enough (Bec - we did think about buying you a souvenir scroll with the Hippocratic oath on it, but resisted the urge - thought we might get in trouble!).

We also found an archaeological site that you could wander around and climb all over the ruins, which was pretty amazing. There were even original mosaic floors that were only partially uncovered. By this point I had pinched the borrowed SLR camera from Nicky, and did take rather a lot of pictures.

After our excavations, we had built up an appetite, and so headed back down towards the harbour and one of the restaurants there. We decided to have a selection of starters rather than main courses so that we could try a few different things. Key points to note - stuffed vine leaves aren't bad, the meatballs were tasty, and the fried local cheese with honey was truly unpleasant.

After lunch, we wandered back towards the hotel, picking up a gift for Jake on our way back - one of those designer products at a bargain price! After our shopping we made a detour and walked most of the way back along the beach.

Back at the hotel it was time for some proper sunbathing and so we set up camp on some loungers by the pool. I had planned to go in for a dip, but a combination of early season and unheated pool meant that I didn't get past sitting on the edge dangling my legs in up to the knees. And I had to keep moving to make sure that I didn't lose feeling in my toes.

We came in as the sun was going down, and walked over to the beach to enjoy the sunset.

The plan for dinner was to walk along the road to the famous Taverna Mike, but when we got there we discovered that it opens for the season tomorrow, so we came back here and enjoyed the Friday night barbecue.

And now, I am sat here tapping away whilst I wait for some photos to upload so that I can add them to this post. (But uploading is being slow so I am going to publish this for now, and then maybe add the photos later.)

Saturday morning update: here in no particular order are a the photos that have now uploaded.

Kos In Kos In Kos In Kos Ruins Mosaic Mosaic Cheers Our hotel By the pool Sunset By the pool