Saturday 24 May 2014

Dinner

Didn't feel like the full on Fullerton for breakfast this morning, and so enjoyed a bit of extra time in bed before finally getting up and getting out there.

Wasn't in a mall kind of mood, and so wandered off down Boat Quay and Clarke Quay (note - no sign of any hospital beds in bars - Nicky, you know what I mean!). It was sunny and bright, and properly hot for most of the day today, and so after this much walking I was keen to stop in at the Funan Mall for a bit of air conditioning (as well as a very late breakfast or early lunch depending on your point of view).

By this point in the day, I'd still not had my morning coffee, but I was far too hot to contemplate a hot drink, so John, you'll be entertained to hear that I had an iced latte. And, it actually wasn't bad - or maybe the heat had got to me!

Once I'd stocked up with some water from the Seven 11, I climbed the steps into Fort Canning Park. I think that place is amazing, and it deserves a blog all of its own at some point in the future, especially as I can't be adding any photos today, as all pictures were taken with an actual camera rather than with my phone!

(By the way, whilst exploring Fort Canning Park, I noticed Hotel Fort Canning, which I don't remember from before. Sure enough, according to its Wikipedia article, it only opened in 2010. Looks rather nice - might have to add it to the ever-increasing list entitled 'Places for Nicky and Miff to stay in Singapore'.)

The Singapore National Museum is next to the park, and so I went in there once I'd been all around the park (again partly just to experience some aircon!). The place was full of seven year-olds, as they were having some sort of children's activity weekend. However, one of the fringe benefits was that they were doing free entrance to the exhibitions, which I think should normally have a charge.

One of the exhibitions was called Genesis, and was a series of photographs by a chap called Sebastiao Salgado, and it was totally awesome (and I mean that in the totally awesome sense, as opposed to the say it about most things approach favoured by Owen!). There was a book available of the photographs, but it was huge and I didn't fancy putting it in my case. (And sure enough Amazon have a copy at a cheaper price, so I may have to get that at some point.) If you want to get an idea of what I mean, try googling 'Sebastiao Salgado Genesis' and then click on the images tab.

Once I'd done with parks and museums I hopped on the MRT to City Link and had some mall time (including a Starbucks stop) before coming back to the hotel to shower and change before dinner.

Dinner was with a good friend (and potential colleague!) and given that we normally meet in Tunbridge Wells, was a pleasant change to our normal venues. Nothing specific to report - will continue holding my breath!