Wednesday 20 April 2011

Happiness

Jake and I have just watched the second half of the North London derby. Spurs came back from a 3-1 deficit to draw 3-3. Good viewing, if a little tense, and the quality of the White Hart Lane entertainment bodes well for Jake and my trip there next month.

I got an email from my old college today. They get in touch with me from time to time to let me know what is going on and to invite me to various events. I never go, but it's nice to be included! This one was about a forthcoming event to discuss the topic of happiness - inspired, I think, by the Prime Minister's plan to start measuring it soon.

The invitation included a rather splendid quote, from Robert Kennedy.

"The gross national product does not allow for the health of our children, the quality of their education, or the joy of their play. It does not include the beauty of our poetry or the strength of our marriages; the intelligence of our public debate or the integrity of our public officials. It measures neither our wit nor our courage; neither our wisdom nor our learning; neither our compassion nor our devotion to our country; it measures everything, in short, except that which makes life worthwhile."

As for our look back to last year, having enjoyed a busy day at Universal on the previous day, we bimbled about in the Disney Parks, doing some animation classes, and taking photos of Jake with each letter of the California sign at DCA (which subsequently worked out splendidly in the holiday photo book).


C
On the bus
Nicky and Miff

Oh yes, and one other thing - I finally finished off Sebastian Faulks's "A Week in December" last night. Turns out that it's not the fundamentalists we need to be worried about, it's the hedgies.