Sunday 8 May 2011

Pool

As is well known, I have enjoyed a game of snooker or pool for a very long time. I remember Mum getting an old 6x3 table at an auction when I was little. It came without any legs, and so we would either rest it on the (round!) dining room table or in the summer we would sometimes put it on the "well" in the back garden and play there.

I expect that my family will tell me that I annoyed them a fair deal with requests for games all of the time. (Still, what goes around comes around I suppose!)

Later I moved on to a rather iffy pool club in Chatham which I would frequent after school with some friends. I think this must have been in the sixth form, when we were more independently mobile and we would head down there after lessons in my old 205.

Then, I found a kindred spirit at university, and we spent the bast part of three years playing pool in the pub down the road. It was either that or playing on computer games - we weren't very typical students really.

Now Jake has his own pool table. This one does come with legs, but I think is a little smaller than the one I had many years ago, although Jake's one is probably more on the level - I remember my old one being a bit hump-backed. Jake has even been on an outing to the pool and snooker club with Paul and me.

Now Jake (thanks to his friends) has discovered a website which has a decent pool game on it, where it is possible to play in tournaments against real opponents.

Guess what I've been doing for the last hour or so?!