Wednesday 11 May 2011

Righteous

I finally finished The Righteous Men by Sam Bourne the other day. I hadn't realised when I picked it up that Sam Bourne was actually Jonathan Freedland - him of The Long View on R4. The book blurb promised that it would be "the next Dan Brown" or some such comment.

Now I know that the fashionable view is that Dan Brown's books are of no merit whatsoever and from a literary perspective they are not worth the paper that they are written on. Well, I don't care, I really enjoy them.

In my humble opinion, The Righteous Men didn't live up to this billing. It took me a really long time to get into it, seemed to go nowhere for a very long time, and whilst it got more interesting towards the end, it took a good 350 pages to really get going, and at 550+ pages felt considerably too long.

I think that I will go back to more familiar territory with my next read, and continue with one of the many series I've started this year. No.2 of Morse, Dexter or Brennan is calling.