Monday 9 May 2011

Pressure

Pressure is a horrible thing, especially when it is completely unnecessary.

The worst sort is the type that is brought on by everyone else's expectations of you. Whilst it is always nice to know that people have confidence in you and think that you are capable of achieving great things, sometimes the very fact of knowing that's how people are thinking can lead to a whole load of extra pressure.

I know of a certain young man who, I think, is feeling a little bit like that this week.

Well for him, here is a public message from me.

Firstly, so long as I know that you are giving things your all and doing your best, and that you are willing to participate in your studies in a mature way, I'm never going to ask any more of you than that.

Secondly, I don't need to see test results to tell me how clever you are. Talking to you every day shows me just how smart you are in so many different ways.

Thirdly, how much I love you isn't measured in test results. Never has been, never will be.