Monday 23 May 2011

Train

Following on from yesterday's post, I thought that Patrick Barclay, writing in The Times today, summed it up very nicely:

"the Birmingham fans ... picked their chins up off the floor and exhibited a defiant pride. Such was the roar from their corner of the ground that the home crowd responded, with all joining in a standing ovation that ... exuded respect for the way City's players had been encouraged to the bitter end."

Indeed we did, and a rather touching moment it was too.

Back to today, and the Breakfast Show provides me with fodder for comment once again.

Two songs that take me back to the early eighties and my childhood, and particularly make me think of Dad were played whilst I was on my way to work.

The first one of them is The Lion Sleeps Tonight, or as we would much rather call it, The Wimoweh Song! On the radio this morning, they played the version that first made me aware of this song - the one by the one hit wonder that was Tight Fit. I remember Dad taking great delight in singing along with the Wimowehs! It is a much older song than Tight Fit's version - I've never asked Dad if he already knew it - I'm sure he must have done. Dad, if you are reading this (catching up once you are back from the Lakes), do let me know!

By the way, having a quick rummage around about the song, apparently Wimoweh crept into the song as a mistake somewhere along the way. It should be "Uyimbube" which is Zulu for "you are a lion".

The second song worthy of a mention was one I had never heard before in its original version! The song in question was written and performed by Albert Hammond, someone I hadn't previously heard of.

Mind you, now that I've looked him up, it turns out that he had a hand in writing some great stuff, including "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now", "One Moment in Time" and "Room In Your Heart". I really should have been paying more attention!

The song in question is track 1 on one of my favourite albums of all time.

The song in question: "I'm a train"!