Wednesday 4 May 2011

Pun

One quick update from yesterday's Sporting post - I forgot to mention that in July the Open golf championship is heading our way once again, to Royal St George's. As was the case the last time it was here in 2003, I may well take a day off on the Friday and head that way.

Last time I went, I spent the day on the stand behind the 16th green, and then got in trouble with one of the stewards at the end of the day for taking a photo of where I'd been!

Open Golf

Anyway, today is officially a pun. As Jake took great delight in saying to me earlier on, "May the Fourth be with you".

Reminds me of another pun, a long-standing rhyme that I have been taking great delight in annoying Jake with any time anyone mentions the new "Thor" film that has just come out.

It goes like this:

The God of war rode forth one day, upon his trusty filly
"I'm Thor!" he cried; his horse replied, "That's because you forgot your saddle, silly!"

I get groaned at every time I mention it!

On the way to work this morning, a rather lovely song came on the radio, and so I thought that I would share it with you.



Isn't it great. I think I might have heard it once or twice before, but I'm not sure. Looking it up, it seems that Over the Rainbow is song best appreciated posthumously. Sadly, like Eva Cassidy, the Hawaiian singer who did this version, Israel Kamakawiwo'Ole, is no longer with us.

(By the way, what is it with songs from around the Second World War era and bluebirds? They keep cropping up: they get a mention in Over The Rainbow, The White Cliffs of Dover, and Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah!)

One other thing before I go: Mum - I am looking forward to seeing the extract from the book that you are reading that you mentioned to me yesterday. Either e-mail it over, or even better, get Dad to set up a blog for you and you can use it in your first post. Then you can show me how this blogging lark should be done properly!