Saturday 4 January 2014

Reading plans

Over the last three years, I've met my target of reading 50 books each year (see Goodreads for details), and the plan remains the same for 2014. Normally, there isn't much rhyme or reason to my selection of books to read - it depends on what I have just bought, what takes my fancy, what I see on the shelves ..., although I have made a point of starting at the beginning of a number of series of books over these three years safe in the knowledge that I won't forget what I have and haven't read thanks to the benefits of recording things on Goodreads.

The plan remains much the same for 2014, although here are some of the books that I may well end up reading during the course of the year:

  • The final instalment of the Mole series (The Prostrate Years) as I read all of the others last year, and anyway, I've made a start on book eight already.
  • Pam Ayres' latest collection of poems (You Made Me Late Again) - a Christmas present from Nicky, which I have dipped into already.
  • Some James Pattersons - in particular Alex Cross, Run, which I think might be just out in paperback, and Cross My Heart (which was a Christmas present from Bec and Mark).
  • Some John Grishams - Sycamore Row (also a Christmas present from Bec and Mark), and A Time to Kill, which I will have to read first given that Sycamore Row is a sequel to it, and the fourth instalment of the Theodoore Boone series (paperback due out in April).
  • Having read the first 10 over the last three years, the final four Inspector Morse books (Morse's Greatest Mystery, The Daughters of Cain, Death is now my Neighbour, and The Remorseful Day).
  • It's about time I went back to The Lord of the Rings, and I might read the 6 book (excluding appendices) version that I bought around the time of the films.
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles - Poirot's first case, bought in Foyles last month, and if I like it I might get the 12 book set from The Book People for the bargain price of £15.
  • May We Be Forgiven by A M Homes - been sat on the shelf for a while, and I quite like her books, even if they are a little odd!
  • The Kill Room - the latest Lincoln Rhyme story, due out in paperback soon.
  • Lee Child's Killing Floor - bought last year but not read yet - I should see whether Jack Reacher is worth all the hype.
  • Always Looking Up by Michael J Fox - having re-read his first autobiography last year, time to give the next one a go.
  • Help! by Oliver Burkeman - I enjoyed The Antidote, and The Book People have it in their sale.
  • To the Letter by Simon Garfield - if he can make a book about fonts interesting, then this should be good (plus The Book People also have this one in their sale).
  • Dexter 5 - Dexter is Delicious, as it is over a year since I read the 4th in the series.
Not promising to get through all of these, but let's see how I get on. If I do, that'll be half of 2014's tally accounted for.