Saturday 18 January 2014

Self help

I love Saturdays like this one has been. The key ingredients as far as I am concerned are having no fixed agenda, no-one needing to be distracted by work, spending time with my family, and not suffering with a headache or migraine.

Slow start to the day - we were all only just out of bed when Jake's friend came round at 10am (in fact Jake was still in the shower), and a fair amount of the rest of the morning was spent catching up with Bec on the phone. Particularly excited to hear their holiday news - sounds like a proper adventure.

Once we'd all had a sausage sandwich and Jake and Josh had headed off to the coffee shop for their shift, Nicky and I took the dog on a nice long walk, picking up the Saturday newspaper on the way back. Jake reappeared with Owen and we left them playing football whilst Nicky and I went to Hempstead Valley to pick up a few things at the shops.

Took the boys to the driving range to bash a couple of buckets of balls when we got back, and I enquired about the lessons that are available there - they have a PGA pro who does lessons, and Jake and I could share an hour's lesson at £45 (plus they do a 6 for 5 deal). One to contemplate, maybe a little later in the year.

Home for spag bol and a relaxing evening including a soak in the bath with my book, and now Jake and I are sat in front of Match of the Day.

And that, for me, adds up to a quality Saturday!

As for the title of this blog, I'm reading Help! by Oliver Burkeman at the moment (one of the damaged but now replaced books from the Book People sale - well done to them for some decent customer service, and also my 4th book of the year, should anyone be counting). The book is excellent, and basically takes a look at the whole self help movement, doing a good job of pouring scorn on the many ridiculous, contradictory and self-defeating self help advice that is our there, but at the same time picking out some nuggets of valuable observations. It feels like a book which I might have to enjoying reading now, but then come back to sometime soon and re-read it with a pen and notebook in hand.