Sunday 9 January 2011

Famous family

My week in Brighton has begun, and I am safely installed in my hotel (or rather Myhotel) enjoying the benefits of the wifi on my iPad.

The day kicked off with Jake's first football match in quite some time. In the sunshine, it really wasn't too cold - our touchline was in the shade. I was extremely pleased to have the fleecy, lined jacket that Nicky bought me for Christmas. Jake's team did really well, and only lost narrowly 2-1. It was a cup game, and the silver lining was that all of the teams that go out at this stage will get put into another cup, so they will have another chance.

Next week's game is an away one, and I think it is on the playing field of my old junior school. Should be entertaining to go along to - will no doubt bring back a few memories.

After football it was back to Nanny and Granddad's for roast dinner, before heading home to pack a bag for Brighton.

Packing was delayed for a while to watch Songs of Praise from Winchester Cathedral. Not only were they singing some of my favorite hymns, but I can now officially say that I have a famous Father. He was on screen a good six or seven times, and was on the right hand side of the nave, about ten rows back from the front, in the middle of his row. Check it out on iPlayer - I've just watched it again after arriving at the hotel.

My particular favorite was Dear Lord and Father. The words are fantastic, Parry's Repton is truly beautiful, but it is special to me because we sang it on a very special day, one of the best of my life, just before Christmas in 1996 .

Drop Thy still dews of quietness,
Till all our strivings cease;
Take from our souls the strain and stress,
And let our ordered lives confess,
The beauty of Thy peace.