Thursday 27 January 2011

Grand slam

This evening for dinner we had a potato rosti with anchovies, with poached eggs and bacon. All very yummy and all very healthy too, at least I assume it was given the ingredients used and the recipe book that was followed. In my continuing praise of the new food mixer, I can confirm that the rosti was home made, using one of the many blades to grate the potato and onion.

When we go the US, we always track down a Denny's and make sure we stop in for breakfast at least once whilst we are there. Hash browns feature heavily on the breakfast menu, and at Denny's (and no doubt lots of other establishments) they turn out to be fried grated potato, not what I would have thought of previously as hash browns at all.

Denny's also feature a variety of "slams" on their menu, including a Grand Slam breakfast and various "slam-wiches". May be a bit of a bad pun, but I can forgive the menu-writers at Denny's a great deal - after all they did come up with "Moons over my hammy" which I have been known to order before simply because it makes me laugh.

Thinking of grand slams, the Australian Open is getting interesting. Murray is two games away from his first grand slam tournament title, and both Nadal and Federer are out. Chances like this don't come along too often. Come on Andy!