Wednesday 2 March 2011

Catcher

What on earth is going on with the cricket World Cup. First of all we just about scrape by against the Netherlands, and then we have something of an epic battle against India. We start off letting them get a huge total, and then spend most of our innings getting excited about the world record for the highest score in a run chase in the world cup. But, in all goes sour when Strauss and Bell are out in consecutive balls, and we end up with a nail-biting draw.

Then today. We post a decent 300+ total against the Irish, and early in their innings have them with not too many more that 100 on the board and 5 wickets down. It's all over ... isn't it.

And then, the talk of world record breaking run chases comes back to haunt us, with a fastest ever world cup century thrown in for good measure. I listened to the last few overs on the iplayer at work, lost for words!

To keep my reading record up to date, I finished The Catcher in the Rye last night. Took a while to get used to the first person, stream of consciousness style, along with some of the turns of phrase that were used - everyone being "phony" and every other sentence ending with "and all". Holden isn't exactly the most like-able of characters, although I did end up feeling rather sorry for him.

Maybe I'm too old to appreciate it properly now - should have read it when I was a teenager.

Being the literal (rather than literate) soul that I am, I spent a fair amount of the book wondering where the title came from. I had kind of expected the book to have a rural setting rather than being based mostly in Manhattan with that title, but goes to show what I know. Holden overhears a boy singing a song in the street (well, mishears an extract of a Robert Burns poem) and this gets him to thinking. Later, he explains to his sister Phoebe:

"Anyway, I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around - nobody big, I mean - except me. And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff - I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I'd do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be. I know it's crazy."

Anyway, I'm off to marvel at the cricket highlights.