Wednesday 9 March 2011

Idiot

It's been a long time since I was quite this pleased to see a 0-0 draw. But, tonight, in a nail-biting encounter, Spurs managed to keep AC Milan out, and so that away goal from a couple of weeks ago holds up and sees us through to the quarter finals.

Uncharted territory ...

As for my day, well I'm the idiot of today's title. It all started off well enough - I went to the office this morning, but then this afternoon I had a meeting in London. As per my new routine, I drove round to Ebbsfleet and got the train in to St Pancras. Timed my arrival fine and the meeting finished off at just after 5.30. Still so far so good.

Got the tube back to St Pancras, and as I came up the escalator realised that I would be just in time to hop on a train that was leaving at 6.10. So I dashed to the platform and made it with only a few seconds before departure. It was only after I'd been on the train for the usual 18 minutes and there was no sign of slowing down that I realised my mistake.

I got off at the next available stop.

Ashford!

Waited 20 minutes and got another one back from whence I came, this time thankfully stopping at Ebbsfleet so that I could retrieve the car and drive home.

So, my cunning plan of dashing onto the first train at St Pancras rather than waiting a few minutes to get on one that actually stopped at my station cost me around an hour.

Idiot!